Tuesday, July 1, 2008

A Reading Fool

I just tallied it up and so far in 2008 I have read thirty four books (not counting the faves that I reread.) I really don't stray far from certain genres, mostly mysteries. Here is the break-down of my reading habits for the first six months of 2008.

Non-fiction
The Glass Castle by Jeanette Walls

Romance
The Marriage Game by Fern Michaels

General Fiction
The Spellman Files by Lisa Lutz
A Brief History of the Dead by Kevin Brockmeier
The Magician's Assistant by Anne Patchett
Garden Spells by Sarah Addison Allen (possibly a romance)

Fantasy/Horror
Your Coffin or Mine Kimberly Raye
The Book of Lost Things by John Connolly
Magic Bites by Iona Anderson
Iron Kissed by Patricia Briggs
Kitty and the Silver Bullet by Carrie Vaughn
A Shadow in Summer by Peter Abraham
Odd Hours by Dean Koontz

Mystery

Deal Breaker by Harlan Coben
Black Angel by John Connolly
The Heat of the Moon by Sandra Parshall
An Incomplete Revenge by Jaqueline Winspear
By Blood Written by Steve Womack
Murder on the Edge of Town by J. Carson Black
The Mephisto Club by Tess Gerritson
Flesh and Bone by Jefferson Bass
Ghost of a Chance by Kate Marsh (possible fantasy/horror)
Fatal Burn by Lisa Jackson
Murder on Bank Street by Victioria Thompson
Fearless Fourteen by Janet Evanovich
A Dash of Death by Claudia Bishop
Grave Apparel by Ellen Byerrum
Death By Darjeeling by Laura Childs
The Janissary Tree by Jason Goodwin
On What Grounds by Cleo Coyle
Through the Grinder by Cleo Coyle
Latte Trouble by Cleo Coyle
The Decaffeinated Corpse by Cleo Coyle
French Pressed by Cleo Coyle

The worst of these? Hmmm. The Marriage Game and A Ghost of a Chance. The best? Hmmm. I love my old friends, characters that come back to me on a regular basis. The Maisie Dobbs series gets better with each installment. Odd Thomas, too. And I can't forget Stephanie Plum. But of the non-series, Garden Spell and A Brief History of the Dead both had great impact in different ways. And I couldn't put The Janissary Tree down.

I'm off now to pick up another old friend, Julie Kenner's demon hunting soccer mom, beginning my second half of 2008 in books.

1 comment:

Summertime said...

Hi Webbie,
Thanks for the kind comment! (and sorry about the silent treatment, I just now figured out how to get email notifications when comments are left :)
I really enjoyed checking out your blog! Fun to see that you are an avid reader; I like to read, too. Just finished The Glass Castle last month (I liked it, but her parents were so *frustrating*! ) Have you checked out Goodreads? It's a like a social networking site for readers. You can see what your friends are reading, read their reviews, etc... It's a lot of fun. You can check it out here if you're interested
http://www.goodreads.com/user/show/261614
Looking forward to your Barefoot Creations!