Sunday, July 27, 2008

Where Did My Week-end Go?

It seems like I just left the office a couple of hours ago! Okay, so it's been a little busy. After the fiasco with the farmer's market yesterday, I heard rumor of a farm stand on the highway to a small town south east of here, so off I went. I drove thru some beautiful, rural scenery and saw many, many corn fields but no farm stand. And I was in the big town of Lewisburg at 8:20 yesterday morning, so I stopped at WalMart.

I am a self-proclaimed WalMart-phobe, but that early in a small town, what the heck. I ran in to pick up a few things and came out an hour and $98 later. Then I drove home, stopping at the supermarket for ingredients for Ina's Orzo with Roasted Vegetables. And few other things.

I came home and peeled and chopped the veggies and put them on to roast. While waiting on them to cook, I read. Then I decided to make a cake and dug around for a recipe that would not require another trip to the supermarket. I had applesauce, I had black walnuts, and I had everything else to make a Black Walnut and Applesauce cake with a cream cheese frosting. While the cake was baking, I cooked my orzo and cleaned the kitchen.

I assembled the veggies and orzo and completed the dish with the cheese and vinaigrette. I iced the cake. I cleaned the kitchen. I got ready and headed out to my friend L's for movie night, also bringing more if Ina's Smoked Salmon Spread and accoutrements. I got home around 3:15 this morning. For the record, we watched two Billy Wilder flicks...The Apartment from 1960 with Jack Lemon and Shirley McLain and Kiss Me Stupid from 1964 with Kim Novack and Dean Martin.

Next, I was up at 6:30. Yep. I've been dragging all day and I've had a couple of naps, but I managed to do some laundry, read a book, and cook my dinner. I just finished cleaning the kitchen and making my lunch for tomorrow. And I'm exhausted!

A brief rundown of the tribute to gluttony that was movie nite...we had my orzo, a caprese salad, a relish tray, chicken wings and Captain Crunch Chicken, and buchwheat crepes filled with either chicken and spinach or bacon and caramelized onions. Plus the smoked salmon spread and popcorn. Then there were the crepes filled with cream cheese and apricots, the zucchini cake, the banana bread, the danish, my cake, and the makings for root beer floats. Wine, beer, and sodas. (There were six of us in attendance.) I couldn't eat a thing until dinner tonite (salmon patties with green beans and new potatoes).

I think I need to go to work tomorrow for rest and a regular schedule. So, how was your week-end?

1 comment:

Veronica said...

Let's see...my weekend...peeling wallpaper, painting, Lobster rolls, more wall paper peeling. At least we had lobster rolls.