Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Pickle Making...Day 1

I had so many cucumbers, I decided to make pickles. But what kind of pickles? I begged for recipes. I surfed the web. And I dug around in old cookbooks. I came across a recipe that Mom and I had made many, many, many years ago. I can't remember the exact year, but we made them while watching Charles and Di get married. In the wee hours of the morning, the house reeking of vinegar and spices.

So, of course, that is the recipe I chose. This recipe is a three day process and I decided to post each day with photos. I'll post the recipe on the final day.

First, I assembled the ingredients.
Pickles1

Then I peeled and cut the cukes and removed the seeds.
Pickles2

I mixed pickling lime with cold water and poured it over the cukes.
Pickles3

Covered and tucked away in the fridge for 24 hours.
Pckles4

And then I made myself a tomato sandwich. Next on the agenda? A long bath with a good book.

More tomorrow!

No comments: