Saturday, July 19, 2008

Saturday and Adult A.D.D.

I woke up this morning and wandered into the kitchen around 7:30 to make coffee. I remembered that I had not loaded the dishwasher last night and was face to face with a sink full of dirty dishes. I opened the dishwasher to discover the reason that I hadn't loaded it last night was because it was full. I unloaded the dishwasher and loaded the dishwasher and cleaned the sinks. While cleaning the sink, I noticed that the counter was dirty. I took everything off of the counters and scrubbed. Then, replacing the appliances, I noticed that they needed a little sprucing up and began by cleaning the food processor with Clorox Clean-up, tearing it apart to clean the base and the mechanism. (I managed to smear the word ON). Next my lovely white Kitchen Aid mixer. I was wiping it down but became distracted by the stainless steel band around it. I took out the toothpicks and began running them around all of the seams on the mixer. Next I washed the cord. Moving on, I used the toothpicks to clean the stainless ring around the sink.

I moved on to the stove. I pulled out the liners under the eyes and put them in to soak. Cleaned the front and top of the stove, removed the knobs for cleaning, and moved on to the hood. This demanded the oven cleaning next. While the oven cleaner was doing it's thing, I cleaned the microwave and wiped down my cabinets. Cleaned out the fridge. Cleaned the ceiling fan. I put the stove eye liners in the dishwasher and cleaned the oven. And then I swept and mopped.

I decided at this point to take a nap. Afterwards, I decided to bake a loaf of Lemon Blueberry Bread.

Suddenly, I felt faint. I checked the clock. It was 2:30 and I had never eaten or had a cup of coffee. I put the bread in to bake and made myself a sandwich. Darn! I'm so easily distracted, but in this case, in a very good way.

blueberry bread

This recipe was posted on the CK board by Erica and comes from The Joy of Cooking.

Lemon Blueberry Bread

1 1/2 c all-purpose flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 c unsalted butter at room temp
3/4 c granulated white sugar
2 large eggs
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1 tbsp grated lemon zest
1/2 c milk
1 1/2 c fresh blueberries

Glaze
1/3 c granulated white sugar
3 tbsp fresh lemon juice

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Butter (or spray with non-stick cooking spray)a 9 x 5 loaf pan.

Whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt and set aside. In the bowl of an electric mixer, beat the butter until softened (about 1 minute). Add the sugar and continue to to beat until light and fluffy. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each egg. Add the vanilla and lemon zest and beat. With the mixer on low, add the flour mixture by thirds, alternating with milk (begin and end with flour). Mix only until combined. Stir in blueberries.

Pour batter into loaf pan and bake on center rack of oven for 55 to 65 minutes or until loaf is golden and a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.

In a small saucepan, bring sugar and lemon juice to a boil, stirring well, until the sugar is dissolved.

Remove loaf from oven and pierce holes throughout using a skewer. Pour the glaze over the top and allow to cool in pan for 30 minutes. Remove from pan and continue to cool on wire rack.

blueberry bread done

Enjoy!

1 comment:

Andrea at Nummy Kitchen said...

First off your lemon blueberry bread looks delicious! It reminded me of a lemon blueberry pound cake I made a few years ago that was probably one of my favorite desserts ever, I love the lemon blueberry combo. Second I had so much fun reading this post because it totally sounds like me, I can never just 'clean up' if I start I end up cleaning the whole room top to bottom, and wasting a ton of time! Very funny post :)