Sunday, June 15, 2008

More Movies

So, continuing in the theme of watching movies made from books I've read, I watched The Jane Austen Book Club, which I liked much better than the book. Part of it, I'm sure, has to do with my ongoing love affair with Jimmy Smits. I am confident that one day he will find the need to visit my lovely small town, see me, and fall madly in love, just as I have loved him since LA Law.

The truth is, I liked Stardust and The Nanny Diaries far more than I liked the books, as well. Stardust, well the performances were outstanding, with huge stars in small roles (Peter O'Toole)and the visuals worked far better than my imagination. The Nanny Diaries benefited from the movie edit far better than most books. Of course, I am mostly disappointed when books I love are made into movies and I loved none of these three. So I appreciate the work of writers, directors, editors, et al.

You see, if I truly love a book, I cast it in my head and a mini movie screen plays it out for me. I still picture Shane West as Odd Thomas and Sandra Bullock as Stephanie Plum.

I also watched Flywheel. This is the first film made by Sherwood Baptist Church in Albany Georgia, most know for last year's surprising word of mouth sensation Facing the Giants. Flywheel was made for $20,000 and is the story of a sleazy used car salesman who turns his life around. He becomes a better husband, father, and son. What a great movie for Father's Day. It was a very pleasant surprise.

======================================================

It is confession time. I am a timid, fearful, yellow-bellied, squealing girl baker. I am terrified of things that rise. But I don't want to be. So every few months I buy bread flour and yeast, and eventually throw them away. But...my friend Terrie from the Contessa's Kitchen board has offered by be my Obi Wan and help me tackle a yeast bread recipe. I'll keep you posted.

I'm off to read before bed...I started a new book this afternoon about a fashion reporter in DC. It's been pretty good, so far.

1 comment:

Lauren said...

Hi there,

My name is Monique & I'm part of the PR team for Sherwood Pictures--creators of FACING THE GIANTS.
Thank you so much for supporting the movie on your blog! We wanted to keep you informed of their latest project--FIREPROOF.
It's due to hit theaters this September in theaters nationwide. You can go to www.fireproofthemovie.com to view the trailer, read the synopsis, and sign up for updates to stay up to date with all of the FIREPROOF happenings! If you're interested in learning more or need any resource, pictures, and downloads for your blog please email me at monique@lovell-fairchild.com and I will be happy to get you what you need.

Again, thanks for blogging!
Monique
Lovell-Fairchild Communications