Friday, May 16, 2008

POLITICS AND RELIGION

Two subjects we each hold dear because they are a part of the core that forms who we are. So why does it seem, in this election year, that we are far more tolerant of different religions than we are of political views. Seriously, I may not understand the intricacies of LDS, Buddhism, or even Wicca, but I will willingly listen the tenants of those religions.* I will read and explore the philosophies. I may not be swayed in my opinion of those religions or religious sects, but I will not condemn those who believe.

Of course, if you get on national television and make a fool of yourself regarding your religion, I will make fun of you.

My father has had a few bad experiences with members of the LDS and therefore considers it a "cult" and tends to disdain its members. However, I admire the discipline and purity of the lifestyle. I will not, however, give up caffeine.

So the question remains, why are we so impolite and angry over politics? Of course, I think there is the frustration of knowing that millions of people, both politically savvy and uninformed, will determine our future. I am less frightened of the informed, well read liberal or conservative, than I am of the uniformed voter who makes a choice based on slick political ads, friends opinions, or (sadly) looks.

I know charisma counts. We are drawn to attractive, warm, inviting faces and pleasant personalities. But that cannot be the final, determining factor on who will run our country, our state, our city.

But we must not condemn and harangue those with whom we disagree. We need to remember that courtesy is never unappreciated.

* Yes, I know that LDS is Christian.

No comments: