Sunday, May 11, 2008

Book Group Prep

I am hosting book group tomorrow night. We will be discussing The Magician's Assistant by Ann Patchett. I've spent my week-end getting ready.

I shopped Friday night, having to go to three different supermarkets to get everything I need. Then yesterday, I began cleaning house. I did some deep cleaning, scrubbing a stain in the carpet, wiping down baseboards, dusting the ceiling fans. I re-arranged my bedroom and put on completely new linens...new 600 thread count khaki sheets (a gift to myself), a new comforter, pillows, and shams that my sister gave me for Christmas. It is a lovely golden taupe with turquoise and khaki. I decided to not use the dust ruffle because my bed, a lovely antique, has 8" wooden side rails that I decided show off.

I started my dinner this afternoon, after cleaning the living room and kitchen (an ongoing project). So far I have perlini mozzarella marinating to be served with olives, grape tomatoes, and crackers. I've made a roasted vegetable and orzo salad.

I will make the dessert this evening, a fruity version of tiramisu called berrymisu.

Then I intend to clean my bathroom before going to bed.

My plan for tomorrow, then, will be to set the table before leaving for work. After work I will vacuum. Then I will prepare my entree, a chicken dish. I will have the coffee ready to perk before I mop the kitchen and bathroom. Next I will set out my appetizers. I should be in good shape, especially if I can keep the television off.

I called my Mom to wish her a Happy Mother's Day. It was one year ago that she first became ill. I asked if she had gone to church today and she said, "All three of us." This left me baffled because I didn't think they would take the cat to church. When asked, she said "Your daddy, Paula, and Brenda."

This statement takes interpretation. Paula who? And, Brenda (me) was not there. I determined that my sister and brother-in-law went to church with my parents. BIL's parents also attend the same church. Fuzzy math.

Anyhoo, I must return to my cooking and cleaning. BTW, I really enjoyed the book and hope to have a lively discussion. The problem is, however, that if we all like the book, we have very little to discuss. The one person who would, I think, really enjoy the book will not be in attendance. It's okay, though, she probably didn't read the book anyway.

In review...Happy Mothers' Day. Clean house.
Tomorrow's menu:

Appetizers
Marinated perlini mozzarella
Olives
Grape tomatoes
Drunken Goat cheese
Crackers

Main Course
Chicken Lombardy (Southern Living)
Brocollini
Roasted Vegetable and Orzo Salad (Ina Garten)

Dessert
Berrymisu

Coffee
Iced tea
Pinot Grigio
Sparkling water

1 comment:

Liza P. said...

I may have to read the Magician's Assistant since you approve. However, I didn't really enjoy her other book, Bel Canto. I started it to join in on my co-workers book club but just couldn't get into it! I stopped after the first 2 chapters. Hopefully the Magician's Assistant will be a different story,


btw berrymisu sounds deelish!