Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Book Group and a Mysterious Pain

I went to book group last night in which we discussed The Memory Keeper's Daughter by Kim Edwards. We had a lovely selection of nibbles and then could either make tacos, taco salad, or burritos from an assortment of ingredients. Everyone liked the book, but it did promote interesting debate. It is the story of a doctor in 1964 whose wife goes into labor during a snow storm and he delivers their twins with the assistance of his nurse. The daughter is born with Downs Syndrome and he makes a fatal mistake in believing their lives would be better if she were institutionalized. He sends the baby off with the nurse and tells his wife that she died. The book deals with the consequences of this decision.

I have a severe pain in my left shoulder and down my left arm that has become increasingly uncomfortable. It began last week but today has been miserable. Hard to say if it is stress, arthritis, or something else altogether.

Because I had finished The Memory Keeper's Daughter, I was able to start Murder in Chinatown, the latest by Victoria Thompson. I've waited a year for this one and would really like to savor it, but I'm already 1/3 of the way thru. I should have it finished by tomorrow...unless I go see Harry Potter.

No comments: