Thursday, November 13, 2008

Barefoot Bloggers...Herb-Roasted Onions

It's the second Thursday of November and that means it's time to Barefoot Blog and this month's recipe was chosen by Kelly at Baking With The Boys.

If you were to ask me what is my favorite vegetable I would probably say green beans, but that would be a lie. It's onions. I love onions. Red onions, yellow onions, green onions, Spanish onions, Vidalia onions, pearl onions, Portuguese sweet onions. I love them all. Dip them in batter and fry them, serve them raw on a sandwich. Saute them in butter, grill 'em, caramelize them. Grate them into meatloaf or make them into a sauce. I just don't cook without onions.

So I was thrilled to try this recipe.

And then I was beset by the "itis's". My tonsils were inflamed, my sinus infected, and I still have a bad cough. My energy level was nil and I convinced myself to maybe skip this recipe. Tonight, however, I decided to go ahead and give it a whirl.

HERB-ROASTED ONIONS

2 red onions
1 yellow onion
2 tbsp lemon juice, freshly squeezed
1 tsp Dijon mustard
1 tsp garlic, minced
½ tbsp fresh thyme leaves, minced
3/4 tsp kosher salt
¼ tsp freshly ground black pepper
¼ cup olive oil
½ tbsp fresh parsley leaves, minced


1. Preheat the oven to 400.

2. Remove the stem end of each onion and carefully slice off the brown part of the root end, leaving the root intact.

3. Peel the onion.

4. Stand each onion root end up on a cutting board and cut the onion in wedges through the root.

5. Place the wedges in a bowl.

6. For the dressing, combine the lemon juice, mustard, garlic, thyme, salt, and pepper in a large bowl.

7. Slowly whisk in the olive oil.

8. Pour the dressing over the onions and toss well.

9. With a slotted spoon, transfer the onions to a sheet pan, reserving the vinaigrette that remains in the bowl.

10. Bake the onions for 30 to 45 minutes, until tender and browned, tossing the onions once during cooking.

Photobucket

11. Remove from the oven, and drizzle with the reserved dressing. (Hanging head here. I didn't do this step. But I don't think I suffered for it.)

12. Sprinkle with parsley; season to taste and serve warm or at room temperature.
Photobucket

When I pulled the onions out to stir them, I threw some big pieces of turkey smoked sausage onto the pan to finish cooking with them and I think it was a very wise decision. The onions were delish and the sausage was a perfect complement.

These onions might not find their way onto my Thanksgiving table, but will show up again with steak or sausage soon.

To see what the other Barefoot Bloggers thought about this recipe, check here.

9 comments:

Suzie said...

Hope you're feeling better. The onions (and garlic) are great for any sort of "itis". I'm with you on the onions.

PhantomMinuet said...

That's looks pretty yummy.

And whatever you had is working it's way up (or down) my respiratory system. :-(

Anonymous said...

Oh I hope you feel better! Your onions and sausage look great.

NKP said...

Onions are full of vitamin c!
Hope you are feeling better, glad you loved the onions too. :)

Andrea at Nummy Kitchen said...

Your onions look great! How fun that a dish was picked with your favorite veggie. Even though I've never been an onion fan your description of how you like them prepared makes me want to try some more. Maybe one day I will be in the onion lovers club :) I hope you're feeling better soon!

Becky said...

Hope you get to feeling much better soon! Onions are supposed to be good for respiratory things. Maybe between those and the brandy, you'll be back to normal soon. We had the onions with rotisserie chicken, but I like your idea of the turkey sausage. Thanks for mentioning that. Your dish looks wonderful!

Summer said...

They look delish. My husband would have loved the addition of sausage. What a great idea!

Eri-chan said...

Man, does that look tasty. I bet the onions were great with smoked sausage.

Hope you feel better soon!

Anonymous said...

Sounds as if we have been fighting the same thing. I agree with you about onions. They certainly are versatile. The sausage seems like a good complement to the flavors in the onion roast!