Sunday, September 7, 2008

Comfort Food

I'm feeling well enough to be quite hungry...my last meal was a bagel yesterday morning...and decided to see what I had to eat. It's times like these that I really wish I kept things like cereal and milk, frozen pizza, or bread around the house. What I did find was lots of salad greens, lots of condiments, and a freezer full of meats and veggies.

A co-worker had given me a jar of home-made sauerkraut and I had a pound of kielbasa in the freezer. I knew this would make a fast, easy, comforting meal so I "kicked it old school" (and I'm blushing just typing that).

This is comfort food to me. This is what I grew up on, but I have done a little to improve on Mom's after work pound of sausage and can of kraut. Here it is.

Photobucket

Kielbasa and Sauerkraut

4 slices bacon, chopped
1 medium onion
1 lb turkey kielbasa sliced approximately 1" thick
1 qt sauerkraut drained
1 Tbs raw sugar
1/4 tsp celery seed

In a non-stick pan fry chopped bacon until crispy and remove, leaving fat in pan. Add onions and cook on medium heat until they begin to caramelize. Add kielbasa and cook until it too begins to caramelize. Add kielbasa. Sprinkle with sugar and celery seed and stir. Stir in cooked bacon. Cook on low approximately 10 - 15 minutes.

Tonight I had this with a green salad but it is wonderful with potato salad. And I feel comforted.

No comments: