Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Experimenting

I'm hosting one of my book groups next month and I'm experimenting with a menu. We are reading The Book Thief (nothing happier than a holocaust story) and I thought I would try my hand at German food. I've got Saurbratten marinating to (for 3 days) in the fridge. I'll probably try my hand at German Potato Salad, too. Karen served red cabbage at our group last month, so I hate to repeat. I'll have to see what I can find.

The Saurbratten recipe is one I found in a BH&G cook-book from the 70s. The marinade includes red wine vinegar, white wine vinegar, onions, carrots, celery, spices, and burgundy.

My friends can tell you that I am no expert on wine and really at a loss when shopping for it. My local liquor store only seems to carry burgundy in 55 gallon drums (yes! I do exaggerate, but not by much) which seems a bit excessive for a 1/2 cup. I don't drink the stuff and I know I could freeze it, but my freezer is packed. I asked around for a substitute.

I never received a definitive answer but I opted for a dornfelder because it was German, red, and moderately priced in a bottle I could manage. We shall see if it impacts the flavor. One can't help but wonder how much the flavor of the wine will matter when surrounded by all of that vinegar.

I'll update you on the taste when I cook it Thursday.

In the mean-time, I plan on making one of my favorite dished, Chicken Lombardi, tonight.

No comments: