Sunday, August 10, 2008


I spent the week-end with Mom and Dad. They had a spaghetti dinner waiting on me when I got there Friday evening and then we sat out on the screened in porch and chatted until after 8. Next we watched the opening ceremonies of the Olympics. I'm not a huge fan of the Olympics, but I love the parade of athletes and all of the little known facts that come out.

Saturday was a quiet morning just sitting around talking. Dad went down to the garden and came back with a basket full of grapes and I promptly set about making myself sick. We decided to eat a late lunch at Nikki's and then head over to the farmers' market.

I love Nikki's. I ate far to much there. I had liver and onions, fried green tomatoes, and the famous slaw with a big fluffy roll. Mom had rutabagas, turnip greens, fried green tomatoes, and zucchini with cornbread and Dad had the veal cutlet with fried green tomatoes, turnip greens, slaw and cornbread. Then we headed to the farmers' market where we picked up cantaloupe, watermelon, and peaches. I also just had to have some lemon cucumbers.

Sis had her in-laws over for dinner last nite and then came to Mom and Dad's after. They live less than a mile apart, but Mom is not able to negotiate the stairs at Sis's house. While Mom, Sis, and I sat at the kitchen table and talked, Dad and BIL watched the Olympics.

Sis and I threw together quite a fine meal today, with left-overs from her dinner last night and a pork roast I cooked this morning. Sis came in with Bird's Nest Slaw, baked potatoes and corn on the cob. I had cooked a pork shoulder and made a cucumber and tomato salad. I also cleaned out the fridge and found enough dibs and dabs to make succotash. It was a huge success. The nieces kept going back for more.

I made a sugar free chocolate pie and pulled a pound cake out of the freezer that I served with fresh sliced peaches sprinkled with Splenda.

I got home tonight around seven, and have been dealing with Prissy since. She left me a present just to let me know that she was not happy I had left her.

The good news is that I came home with a peck of tomatoes. Yeah! Tomato sandwiches for everyone!

No comments: