Sunday, April 6, 2008

Week-end Baking

I started out making Benne Wafers yesterday, and wound up playing with the recipe, "tweaking" it, adjusting quantities and cooking times...and came up with this result.



Benne Wafers

12 Tbs salted butter
1 1/2 c dark brown sugar
2 large eggs
1 1/2 c AP flour
3/4 c sesame (benne) seeds
1 tsp vanilla
1/4 tsp baking powder

Cream butter and sugar together until fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time until well blended. Mix in flour, sesame seeds, vanilla, and baking powder. Drop by teaspoonfuls onto a greased cookie sheet. (I used two, but the cookies were crisper when cooked on a dark (non-stick) pan. Bake in a pre-heated 325 degree oven for 9 - 11 minutes or until edges are brown. Cool on rack.

This afternoon, I made Chocolate Cupcakes with Peanut Butter Frosting from the Barefoot Contessa At Home cook-book for the bake-along. The cupcakes are okay, not great, but the frosting is to die for!

cupcake

I'm going to make meatloaf, fried okra, and cornbread for supper. I'll probably retire my kitchen for a few days after that.

No comments: