Sunday, April 27, 2008

Another Quiet Week

Once I returned from Mom & Dad's, life settled into blessed normality. My box of books from Amazon arrived on Wednesday and I was able to finish the book in time for group on Friday evening.

The weather has been absolutely amazing with highs dancing around 80 and sometimes higher and lows in the high 40s. Sunshine everywhere! Of course, my car is this lovely shade of yellow, thanks to pollen, but my Spring allergies are quite mild.

Dad is doing incredibly well! He is suffering no ill-effects from the seed radiation and has to be reminded to take it easy. My brother-in-law went over yesterday and hung gutter-guards in an effort to keep Dad off of the ladder, but no one was able to prevent him from mowing his grass on Friday.

The book group ran very, very late Friday night (Saturday morning). We spoke for about the first hour or so about the hostess' sick cat and my current soap box issue--TV Guide's 25 Sexiest Men on TV of All Time. My friends, like me, were upset by the fact that James Garner was not on the list. They also suggest Robert Conrad, and I have to agree, tight pants, ruggedly handsome, and a very sexy character.

After discussing the book A Shadow in Summer by Peter Abraham and what we had each been reading, we sat down to a lovely dinner, Our hostess had prepared Giada's Pork Loin with Fig and Port Sauce, a roasted vegetable salad, baked apples, and a barley salad with sunflower seeds and dried cranberries. Dessert was an olive oil cake with blueberry lime whipped cream that she made using the jam I had given her at Christmas.

Today I need to cook. I'm on the late shift this week and won't get home until 7:30 each evening. I'll need to have a good lunch so that I can have a light salad for dinner each evening. I think I'll make chicken and dumplin's, since I have all of the ingredients.

Last night I made Ina Garten's Provencal Scallops from the Barefoot in Paris cook book and they were wonderful! This recipe is a keeper.

I also need to get started on the book for Mystery Group--Flesh and Bone by Jefferson Bass. So, I'm off to fix a little breakfast before I head to church, and then home to cook and read. No wonder I love Sundays so much!

No comments: