Sunday, May 13, 2007

Beginning

It's early Sunday morning and I've just returned from taking my cousin to the airport. She arrived after midnight on Friday and I dropped her off at 7:15 on Sunday...a very short visit.

I'm now left to prepare for my book group tomorrow night. I'm trying to pinpoint a menu. Since the book is Anthony Bourdain's Kitchen Confidential, I know that I'll serve Vichyssoise, but can't decide what else. A grilled chicken salad, perhaps? And what for dessert?

I went to my local cheese monger yesterday, so I have a lovely Cottswold and a Stilton with blueberries to serve with crackers, cherry tomatoes, and olives for appetizers and I plan on making a beer bread. I also picked up a couple of bottles of Little Black Dress Pinot Grigio.

This is one of three book groups in which I am a member...a "General" group, a fantasy group, and a mystery group. I need to make a selection for the mystery group to discuss in July. I've been contemplating Donald Harstaad's A Long December, something I read a couple of years ago. I like Harstaad. He's got a different take on the police procedural mystery.

Last month was my selection for fantasy and I chose Greywalker by Kit Richardson. It was the story of a Seattle based private investigator who was severely beaten and was technically dead for almost 2 minutes. When she came to, she could see the dead and walk between the dead and the living. It was the first in a series and well liked by the members of the group. That night I served a pot roast cooked in coffee with potatoes, carrots, and onions. A spinach salad with pears, walnuts and bleu cheese in a light vinaigrette along with yeast rolls, too. And dessert was Molten Chocolate Cakes with strawberries and coffee ice cream. It was very well received.

This is my first post and I will probably be posting random thoughts on life, books, food, movies, and tv. I hope you enjoy!

No comments: