Sunday, January 9, 2011

Soup Weather

According to the meteorologists, we are in for some serious weather. They are predicting 3 to 6 inches of snow in my area. Yes, I know there are those out there that laugh, but this is truly incapacitating here in the south. There is no sign of snow yet, but schools are already closed, and some businesses.

My friend Susan calls this "french toast weather" because everyone runs to the store for milk, bread, and eggs. Me, I went for kitten chow and cat litter. I also pulled together the ingredients for a soup I'd been wanting to try, and I am sooo glad I did. It is fabulous!

Sweet Potato, Chicken, and Barley Soup
The New England Soup Factory Cookbook
p 114

soup1

3 tbs olive oil
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 Spanish onion, peeled and diced
2 ribs celery, diced
4 carrots, peeled and sliced
3 parsnips, peeled and grated
1 1/4 cups pearl barley
10 c chicken stock
2 bay leaves
4 large sweet potatoes, peeled and gut into chunks
3 c cooked, chopped chicken
1/2 bunch fresh dill
1 tbs balsamic vinegar
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste

Heat a stockpot over medium high heat and add the olive oil. Add the garlic, onion, celery and carrot. Saute for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the parsnips, barley, stock and bay leaves. Bring to a boil. Cover the pot and reduce the heat to medium. Simmer for 25 minutes.

Add the sweet potatoes and chicken and simmer for 20 minutes longer. Remove the bay leaves and discard. Remove from the heat and stir in the dill, vinegar, salt and pepper.

Makes 12 services.

*Note: I could not find pearl barley, so I used quick cooking and added it with the chicken and potatoes.

This soups is hearty and bright and sweet. The dill adds something indescribable and this is perfect for a snowy day.

No comments: