Friday, April 3, 2009

Fat Friday

We take turns bringing snacks to the office on Fridays, and today was my turn. I forgot that I had book group last night when I signed up, so it was a bit of a challenge to get it done.

I prepared the Applesauce Breakfast Cake from the BH&G Jr cookbook when I got home from work and began prepping the ingredients for quiche. I fried bacon and saute'd mushrooms and onions and grated cheese. When I got home from book group, I blind baked my pie crusts. I got to bed about 11:30 last night and was up again at 4:40 preparing the quiche.

At mid-morning, one quiche has been eaten and about half of the cake.

Bacon & Ham Quiche

1 9" pie crust (home-made or the prepared sheets in the refrigerated section of the super market

6 slices bacon
1/2 c chopped onion
1 cup sliced porcini mushrooms
3/4 c half and half
1 c cooked chopped ham
6 egg, lightly beaten
1/2 tsp Lawry's Season salt
1/2 tsp black pepper
2 c shredded Swiss cheese
2 T all purpose flour

Blind bake pie crust for 10 minutes at 400 degrees, remove pie weights and foil/parchment and bake another 5 minutes. Remove from oven and reduce temp to 350.

Cook bacon in a large skillet until crisp and remove to paper towels to drain. Crumble and set aside. Saute onions and mushrooms in bacon grease until tender. Add crumbled bacon, half & half, ham, eggs, and seasonings and mix. Toss cheese in flour and add to egg mixture. Pour into pie shell and bake @ 350 45 to 50 minutes or until toothpick inserted in middle comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes before serving.

Mmmmm... I do love my pork!

No comments: