Tuesday, April 21, 2009

A Warning To All of MY Friends Out There

I've been given a bag of starter for Amish Friendship Bread. In 10 days I will have three additional bags of starter. Get ready.

And for fun, here are the steps leading up to the day I start doling out more starter:

Day 1--do nothing
Day 2--mash the bag
Day 3--mash the bag
Day 4--mash the bag
Day 5--mash the bag
Day 6--Add to bag 1 c AP flour, 1 C sugar, ! C milk, mix well in bag
Day 7--mash the bag
Day 8--mash the bag
Day 9--mash the bag

Day 10--pour contents of bag into non-metal bowl and add:
1 1/2 c AP flour
1 1/2 c milk
1 1/2 sugar
Measure out 4 1 cup portions of batter into 4 1 gallon zip lock bags. Keep one for yourself and give the other bags to friends. You will be baking every 10 days.

Seriously, bread that is more work and responsibility than my cat. Do I take it out of town with me? What happens when I run out of friends? And what exactly is meant by "mash the bag"?

I have, however, tasted the bread and it may just be worth the effort.

No comments: