Saturday, April 11, 2009

Easter Prep

At work yesterday, we were sent to the storm shelter four times. I'm not complaining, though, having seen the devastation of Murfreesboro..a mere 25 miles away.

I left work and headed south for the holiday with my family. I got to Mom & Dad's about 5:30 and, after dinner, took Mom shopping for an Easter dress. This is a monumental task, as larg retail areas send her into sensory over-load. Plus there is the whole trying on of things. We picked out six dressed and headed into the fitting rooms. The first was full, so we were sent across the store to a handicapped fitting room. Is it odd to anyone else that they would make the handicapped traverse the store to access the handicapped fitting room?

Sis met up with us at this point, so there were the three of us in the fitting room--if you've never been inside, the handicapped fitting rooms are huge--and lifted, tugged, cajoled and encouraged untile we found something we could all agree on. Then it was off to the cosmetic counter where Sis and Mom scored some make-up and a free gift while I scooted across the store to buy stockings for Mom and myself.

Today started early. I was showered and dressed by six and shared a couple of cups of coffee with Dad while Mom slept in (I think we wore her out!). Then I made breakfast of eggs, sausage, and biscuits. After cleaning the kitchen and doing some straightening around the house, Sis came over and we headed to Publix to finish up shopping for our Easter dinner.

Here is our menu (for now).

Ham
Chicken and cornbread dressing
Green beans
Purple hull peas
Scalloped potatoes
Broccoli salad
Carrot and raisin salad
Buttermilk salad
Devilled eggs
Rolls
Lemon bars
Chocolate something
Sugar free dessert
Tea

So far this afternoon, I've made the cornbread for the dressing, the buttermilk salad, the carrot salad and the lemon bars. I've also cooked some bacon for the broccoli salad. I'm taking a break before making the broccoli salad. Then I'll cook dinner for tonight, spaghetti. Afterwards, I will make the dressing.

I plan on roasting the chicken before church in the morning and then making the potatoes and baking the dressing when we get home. Sis is bringing the ham, green beans, peas, devilled eggs, and chocolate dessert. My aunt and cousins will bring tea, rolls, and a sugar free dessert.

I'm feeling good about it all right now...hope I can say the same when I get up in the morning.

And may we all appreciate the sacrifice that made the blessed holiday so joyous and celebrate the ressurection of our Lord!

No comments: