Tuesday, June 26, 2007

I'm No Stranger to the Rain...

Well, actually, I am these days. We've been suffering thru a drought. Nashville drivers are not the best in the world in good weather conditions, but we've been having these summer storms and, well, it get bad. So while I was stuck in the parking lot knowns as I-40 last week because there had been water on the road, this line from an old country song came to mind. I could hear it in my head, but for the life of me couldn't remember who sang it.

I love the internet! Here are the lyrics to an incredible song. If you've never heard it, it has a rolling melody and Keith Whitley was a marvelous baritone, taking the deep notes and rising with ease.

I'm no stranger to the rain.....Keith Whitley
i'm no stranger to the rain
i'm a friend of thunder, friend is it any wonder
lightning strikes me....

i've fought with the devil
got down on his level, but i never gave in
so he gave up on me....

i'm no stranger to the rain
i can spot bad weather, and i'm good at finding shelter
in a downpour....

i've been sacrificed by brothers
crucified by lovers, but through it all
i've lived through the pain.....i'm no stranger to the rain

when i get that foggy feeling, when i'm feeling down,
if i don't keep my head i may drown....
but it's hard to keep believing, i'll even come out even,
while the rain beats a hole in the ground,
and tonight, it's really coming down.......

i'm no stranger to the rain
but there'll always be tomorrow, and i'll beg or steal or borrow
a little sunshine.....

but i'll put this cloud behind me
that's how the Man designed me

ride the wind and dance in a hurricane.....

So the next time you hear thunder rolling outside, think of this.

No comments: