Thursday, May 6, 2010

Mother's Day

This is a very difficult holiday for me. Should I buy my mother something she neither needs or wants and will never use? Yet another pair of pajamas? More clothes for her overflowing closets? Jewelry that will collect dust in a box on her dresser? Perfume for the few times she goes out? Flowers? Plants that my father will have to tend?

Hmmm.

This year, I pledge my time. I will take my mother shopping. I will call her (not Dad). I will of myself to her. And I will make a donation to flood relief in her honor.

Plus, a nice card.

2 comments:

MHB said...

You know, time with their children seems to be the best gift as our moms age. Have a lovely time together.

Becky said...

I am discovering this gift giving occasion to be difficult also. This year we gave my Mom a weekend in Atlanta with tickets to see Mary Poppins. My sister took her and they both had a wonderful time. I hope to join them if we do something similar next year.

Your gift is a wonderful idea!