Friday, July 10, 2009

Ducks In A Row

Photobucket

My dad always says "Get your ducks in a row"...meaning, make sure everything is in order and you have everything you need before starting a project.

Many years ago, Mom was big into country geese and made dozens of them in ceramics. They usually wound up atop the upright piano. One day my dad was waiting in the car for her and that little mean streak she tries to hide came out. She stopped by the piano and began arranging the geese. When Dad came back into the house he stared at Mom, who smiled sweetly and told him...

"I just couldn't leave until my ducks were in a row." Dad is a sweet, long-suffering man, so he just rolled his eyes and asked her if she was about done.

The point of this story is that I find myself using this phrase often. And each time I do, I think of that incident.

It's like those moments when you suddenly realize "OMG! I sound just like my mother!"

No comments: