Friday, November 9, 2007

A terrible night

Last evening my dad called while I was cooking my dinner to tell me that my Uncle Acy had wandered off. Uncle Acy is Dad's oldest brother and has Alzheimer's. He was found about a half a mile from his home behind a barn wearing a pair of khakis, a long sleeved shirt, house-slippers, and a baseball cap. He is currently in the hospital being treated for hypothermia. The doctor said that if he had spent another two hours outside, he would not have survived.

My grandmother had what was diagnosed at the time as "hardening of the arteries" but was, quitle frankly, dementia. My Aunt Avis, who died two weeks ago, was in the early stages of dementia. And my Aunt Nellie is showing signs of it. I am so frightened for my Dad. I don't know if I could deal with the things that my cousins have dealt with so admirably.

One of my co-workers told of her grandmother pulling a knife on her mother before the family decided to put her in a special home for Alzheimer's patients.

Is it better to be healthy physically and live in a happy limbo while your family suffers or is it better to stay mentally sharp as your body deteriorates around you?

OH MY! I must shake this blue mood.

No comments: