Saturday, March 8, 2008

SNOW!

When I was a child...I loved snow. When I was an adult living in Birmingham, I loved the snow. And on days when I have nowhere to go and nothing to do, I love snow. But days like today....I CURSE THE HEAVENS!

It rained hard yesterday morning and misted all afternoon. About 4 it turned to sleet and then became snow around 6. This morning we have about 2 1/2 inches. No preventative measures were taken because of the rain yesterday. So this morning I started around 7:30 by using the broom to get the snow off of the car. Then I started the car and let it run with the defroster on high. I barely made it out of the parking lot, but once I reached the more travelled roads, I was okay...until I got to the exit for the office.

The ramp was a solid sheet of ice with a carpet of snow, as was the parking lot. Luckily, they had done a great job of covering the steps and sidewalks with a de-icer so I didn't do any damage to myself getting in the door. It looks like it may be thawing a little now...I hop so.

It was absolutely gorgeous outside with everything covered in a blanket of white. I really wish I could have stayed in my pjs, made a loaf of bread, and cuddled up under my favorite throw watching the Food Network and Turner Classic Movies while working my way through my To Be Read pile.

I started the book for our General reading group last night. It used to be called General Fiction, but in the last 12 or so years we've wandered into non-fiction a few times. The selection this month is A Brief History of the Dead by Kevin Brockmeier. It is the tale of a city in which the dead dwell, carrying on much as they did in life, until the last person who remembers them dies. It is quite interesting and so well written that the words flow across the page. It won't take long to finish.

I'm also reading the latest by Patricia Briggs, Iron Kissed. The series is about shapeshifter living among weres, vampires, and other supernatural things in western Washington.

Ooooh! The sun is out, melting the ice rink that is our parking lot! I may make it home in one piece after all!

ETA: The reason I had no qualms about driving on icy roads in Birmingham is that they shut the city down when the weather was bad. You got a ticket if you were caught driving on closed roads.

No comments: